For every webmaster, it is of great significance to make a decision on which hosting plan to opt for in order to host and sustain their websites successfully in the internet world. The web hosting company provides hosting services through various plans such as:
- Shared Hosting
- Reseller Hosting
- Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting
- Dedicated Hosting
These types of services are served based on the type of site and their requirements. For instance, a personal or novice blogger would go for Shared Hosting plan, a blogger needing more disk space would go for VPS plan, and the one in requirement of a lot of disk space, resources and loads of traffic management would go for Dedicated plan (also known as Managed hosting).
The Dedicated hosting plan rents out an entirely dedicated server to a client to host his website. Clearly, all the resources are used only by the site owner and unlike other plans; nothing is shared with any other site. Note that, these dedicated servers are well secured and safety is maintained to a great extent. Wherein the server management is concerned, companies have their own different provisions for the same. The common services offered so as to encourage optimal usage of dedicated server are listed below:
- No Management: No service is offered by the host company; the whole and sole management of server is to be done by the owner/customer. This is similar to self-management except that the host assures support to some extent in the latter one.
- Medium Management: It can be simply said that the management tasks are divided (may not be equally) within both the client and the service provider.
- Complete Management: The server is completely managed by the host company and the customers need not worry about any of the tasks, be it server monitoring or firewall support.
Dedicated Web Hosting Benefits
- The prime benefit is the server is not shared with any other client sites and all the resources can be used only by a single site. Consequently, the performance is enhanced.
- As aforementioned, this type of hosting plan gives you flexibility regarding server task management.
- The disk space, bandwidth, processors can be added as the situation demands. In brief, the overall upgradation is possible.
- A unique IP address is provided by the dedicated server whereas IP address is shared in other hosting types.
- There is high safety and security coverage as the dedicated server is entirely yours and nobody can access or modify it.
- The customers even have the opportunity to choose which kind of Operating System (OS) they want on the server they have leased. For example, Linux is offered free of cost as it is open source whereas Windows is offered at some specific amount.
- Even free or charged updates to the OS are provided by the host company. Obviously, the problems suffered in present versions are resolved and security issues get overcome. Additionally, the kernel and application upgrades are also included in the OS update.
Dedicated Web Hosting Drawback
The main drawback involved in dedicated hosting is its high investment at the initial stage. This type of hosting is costlier comparative to that of the other two types. One needs to pay lot of bucks to buy and maintain the efficiency of dedicated servers. It is definitely a bad choice for small-scale bloggers. Moreover, adult and copyright (of someone else’s) content hosting may strictly be prohibited by the host company.