There are times when a site uses more than the usual share with the server resources. It is often due to various reasons and unfortunately, it happens unexpectedly. This kind of issue leads to abusing server resources. Resolving the issue is difficult, even just identifying the cause.
In order to prevent this from happening, it is important for you to consider knowing the resources and as well as limits for your account. Understand what will possibly happen if you reach the certain limit allotted. Let us dive into the following that may help give you ideas on how you can prevent abusing server resources from HostGator :
Limits Summary of Account
Limitations are always present for user, though it depends on the available resources from their respective servers. Knowing these limitations from HostGator ahead of time, you will definitely avoid abusing server resources. The following are the limitations:
- CPU Resource Usage – For CPU usage, 25% CPU usage is implemented to shared and reseller accounts. There will be 100% of the CPU for the dedicated and server accounts. However, it is important to note that VPS customers will only get to use a part of the total resources of the server;
- Processes Limit – The limit is 25 simultaneous process per cPanel for shared and reseller and accounts. The VPS customers will be able to adjust the number of processes, with no limit;
- Inodes Limit – 100,000 files per cPanel is the soft limit for both shared and reseller accounts. If the account is over 250,000 number of files, it may be susceptible to being suspended;
- Bandwidth Limit – Unlimited bandwidth is available for those shared accounts. For reseller and VPS accounts, there are respective variety of plans. And all the dedicated servers will be have 10tb of bandwidth;
- Backup Limit – They provide backups for all servers, excluding Dedicated Servers. Backups are done weekly for shared and reseller accounts that have 100,000 inodes and 20GB below.
- Mail Limit – Shared and reseller accounts should not exceed to 30 email checks for an house, or 500 send email every hour. As for both and VPS and Dedicated Server users, there is no limitation for those outgoing mall. However, they should use a safelist;
You may visit this site for further information.
CPU Resource Usage
All CPU usage are monitored. The CPU usage included are on Shared, Reseller, Optimized WordPress, VPA plans and as well as cloud sites. The following are the usage limits that are based on your type of plan:
- Shared Servers – To lessen CPU usage, you need to reduce the number of ads and banners that are from other sites. Another is avoiding the use of a lot of scripts and as much as possible, do not force html to have to handle server-side code. And lastly, avoid the use of https protocol if possible. It is more CPU-intensive to have decrypting and as well as encrypting communications.
- Reseller Servers – Basically have the same limits with Shared servers, but the limit is allowed per cPanel and not for whole reseller package. However, you need to note that having multiple cPanel accounts may lead to your account’s suspension since it may cause a server problem.
- Optimized WordPress – There is an allowable limit of 25% CPU usage. You are allowed to go beyond this limit as long as it does not take more than 90 seconds. This is enforced for every site of your account of Optimized WordPress. Every site of your plan is being monitored separately.
- VPS Servers – 100% CPU resources is allowable to use.
Understand the Terms of Service
There are different terms of service for 4 different facets: web hosting, domain registration, affiliate program and the private policy. You can find the terms of service from HostGator in this link. It is important to be knowledgeable of the terms of service for you to know what to expect from their service and know what should not be done.
When Someone is Abusing Server Resources
For those who have offending site, they will be given suspension. However, The owner will still be given an opportunity to be able to fix the issue or he can move his site to a Dedicated server.
HostGator takes all issues on a case to case basis. It may be possible that they may suspend problem directory, not affecting the whole account.
You need to monitor if use have exhausted too many resources already. Unfortunately, HostGator would not be able to help you predict how much your site will use for server resources. If ever your site causes a problem, you’ll get suspended and a notification will be send to your email.