How disappointed you feel when you excitedly enter a URL to open a web page and all you get, as a result, is that annoying statement 404 Not Found. Equally should the administrator realize how much significant it is to keep the visitors and readers connected to his site. Hence, it is necessary to promote your website when it is redirected to 404 Page Not Found. In simpler words, customize your 404 error page in such a way that it displays some promotional events of your site instead of the ugly blank page.
With the web developers holding the HostGator hosting account, it is easy to make changes in the 404 Not Found error page. This error page is self-explanatory; when you enter an invalid URL, the one that cannot locate any web page; you get this page not found error. By default, HostGator promotes its company hosting plans on those error pages on the sites it hosts.
Steps to Change 404 Not Found Error Page:
- The prime step is to create your own 404 Error page. In this you can include any content intended to promote your site along with some images and associated links. I have created one page for your reference and named it my404page.html.
- Give an appropriate name to your custom page and upload it to HostGator web server.
- Next, click on the ‘File Manager’ link and check the ‘Show Hidden Files’ option.
- Open the .htaccess file to edit the configuration of 404 error page. If it doesn’t exist, then create one.
- In the .htaccess file, you just have to append a statement i.e. add a statement at the end of the file content.
Therefore, our last words on this note is try to utilize the customization power as much as possible to make things more productive! HostGator offers the freedom to modify the 404 Not Found Error page and this indirectly provides the developers an opportunity to make it innovative and useful both for the sake of themselves and the viewers. Why not choose the destination that has a simple and straight- forward path with no obstacle? To edit the 404 error page, you just have to create custom 404 error page and modify the .htaccess a little. So, gear up for your site promotion on the ‘Four naught Four’ Not Found page.